I started this project during high school as one of my first experiments with web development. I believe that it was initially created when I decided that it would be useful to have a way to store code snippets on my own server and access them using a browser. At some point the project simply got out of hand - its scope kept increasing and eventually I arrived at a fully functional pastebin website, featuring:
- a complex system of user accounts including OpenID logins (Google, Yahoo and myOpenID)
- private and unlisted snippets, adding snippets to favourites
- a tag system used to catalog the uploaded snippets together with short Stack Overflow style descriptions
- tag synonyms preventing the creation of similar tags
- user centered voting system used to decide which tag synonyms should be added
- a Reddit-like popularity algorithm and a voting system
- different language versions implemented using my own internationalization system
- comments featuring syntax highlighting and markdown with live previews
- an administration system and a system of user reports used for flagging comments, snippets and users
- several automatic solutions used to detect abuses such as spamming
- granular caching system designed to limit the strain on the database
- many more...
The website stayed online for a couple of years. Unfortunately the several screenshots which I was able to find are from an older development version of the site.